I Build Tools that Make Work Easier
I love creating tools that are genuinely useful.
I believe in the power of dumb questions and bad suggestions.
I also bring the sarcasm and a great laugh.
TL;DR: Function first, then pretty.
My areas of focus in UX are:
- Optimizing workflows, including discovery of users' existing processes and expectations
- Identifying and incorporating users' mental models, including direct user research and usability testing
- Creating fast mockups and prototypes to bring teams into alignment
- Defining a clear design language and building tools to help developers easily implement it
TL;DR: A little of a lot, heavy in the front-end.
- Extensive experience with HTML and CSS - I 💙 CSS!
- Building user experiences with React and Typescript since 2019
- Worked in front and back end C#, including MVC (Razor pages) and EF/EF Core
- Once upon a time I was pretty solid with JQuery
- Learning Azure Devops, including YAML pipelines and infrastructure-as-code using ARM and Bicep
- Working with Microsoft SQL databases - SQL and the MS SQL Management Studio
- Tinkering with PHP for personal projects, including this site.
I worked for several years as a professional technical writer, creating documentation referenced every day by users, support techs, and my co-workers.
While that's no longer on my list of job duties, it is still something I believe in. I continue to produce:
- documentation to help onboard new team members
- articles to teach new skills to my fellow developers
- records of important information
- best practices and style guidelines
- error messages, emails, and on-screen text for our software
And other stuff...
Y'all, I just love creating tools, no matter what materials are laying around.
- Packages of shared React components to speed up development of common interfaces (not a solo effort! shout out to my team!)
- Interactive release checklist built in Excel
- Batch scripts to simplify repeated tasks
- Custom endpoints to query public APIs, consumed from Kustom (KWGT) Android widgets
- Building, rebuilding, and tinkering with my personal web site 😇